exclusion zones

mapping restrictions for Tennessee sex offenders

Established in 1988, Chattanooga Endeavors is the first and longest-serving re-entry program in East Tennessee. #Chattanooga #SecondChances #IntegrativeJustice

Tennessee Exclusion Zones​

Sex offenders who are required to register with TBI are prohibited from living or frequenting certain locations in Tennessee, known as “exclusion zones.” These zones are based on “the property line of any building owned or operated by any public school, private or parochial school, licensed day care center, other child care facility, public park, playground, recreation center or public athletic field available for use by the general public in this state when children under eighteen (18) years of age are present, while not having a reason or relationship involving custody of or responsibility for a child or any other specific or legitimate reason for being there” (T.C.A. 40-39-211).

Custom Mapping

You can customize this map by adding public safety layers to it on ArcGIS Online. These layers, which can, for example, distinguish between the buffer zone and the exclusion zone and add the addresses from the registry can be found in the Public Safety Folder.


  1. Open the GIS map.
  2. From the right top bar, click on “Modify Map.”
  3. From the left top bar, open the “Add” dropdown menu and select “Add from web”
  4. There are two layers you can add. One shows the property lines only. The other shows the 1,000 feet buffer zone.
  5. To add these layers, copy paste the following links then select “Add Layer.”
    For property lines copy and paste: https://tnmap.tn.gov/arcgis/rest/services/PUBLIC_SAFETY/CORRECTIONS_EXCLUSION_ZONES_NO_BUFFER/MapServer
    For the buffer zone copy and paste:
  6. You can search an address or place with the search field in top bar.

You can print your map and use the measurement tool. However, unless you or your organization has an account, you won’t be able to save or share the map.

Note: This information is provided as a courtesy. If you have a legal or technical question, please consult your attorney or the appropriate official with the Tennessee Department of Correction or Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.